Sunday, October 6, 2019

Stand firm: in God's grace for the worst of sinners


credit-Jason Jaspersen http://www.jjjaspersen.com/ 
purchased for St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran School theme 2019-2020

“Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the worst.”


This is the 2+2 of the true Christian faith. This is the fundamental teaching, like a football player
learning their stance at the line of scrimmage. This is like grandma's special ingredient she puts in her
potato salad.


St. Paul, the worst of the worst of sinners, teaches us that we are more like our children that frustrate
us than we may realize or care to admit. We are more like our employees who let us down than we
realize or care to admit. We are more like our least favorite boss than we realize or care to admit.
We are more like our spouse that drives us nuts than we realize or care to admit. 


My friends, my dear fellow sinful friends, Paul’s teaching here equalizes the person who makes meth
with the woman who mixes juicy information into gossip soup and whose favorite line is "Did you
hear?" Paul equalizes the dead-beat dad with the man who withholds attention and affection from
his wife in pursuit of "other interests".


Paul uses three words to describe himself before Jesus. Blasphemer, persecutor and a violent man.
That was the past. But then he goes on to say “I AM the worst!” Present. “I AM the worst of sinners.”


Paul doesn’t make excuses for these actions and attitudes. He doesn’t compare himself to someone
else, “well at least I’m not as bad as them!” He doesn’t say, “well, just give me a chance, I’ll make it
up to you God. I can change.” No, he comes clean and admits it.


“Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners-of whom I am the worst!”

If you only knew me...church. If you only knew the different forms that sin has taken in my life. I have
enormous compassion for those who are ashamed and embarrassed of some really foolish things
they’ve done. For those who are trying to keep their desires under control that could change the
course of their life forever. I even have compassion for those who are totally caught up in wild living

and don’t have a clue where they are headed. This a miserable way to live and Jesus came into the
world to save you, just like he came to save me and Paul. Most of these types of sins are behind me
a this point in my life, but sin takes MANY more forms. 


I have developed compassion for those who quickly develop opinions about other people and look
down on others and think less of others. For those who can’t stand people who have other
perspectives on life and spirituality. For those who feel like they are somehow better or more
superior because they’re of a certain political party or denomination or have a certain income level
or career or certain type of family. I’ve been like you too and still struggle with these things at times.
It’s a miserable way to live and Jesus came into the world to save you, just like he came to save me
and Paul.


One of my greatest struggles today is being patient with people who try to stop the grace of Jesus
from spreading to all these kinds of people. My sinfulness even comes out when I’m trying to make
sure ALL kinds of people get to hear about Jesus, experience our School, feel invited into our homes
and buildings and groups and worship. And I can feel righteous about it and get impatient with people
because, well, I’m trying to spread the gospel. And yet in the process, I’m acting so UNLIKE Jesus at
times.


Don’t you do the same thing when you want your kids to know who Jesus is, but you are mostly
harsh with them and annoyed by them and think that just a few more rules and punishments will
get the job done? Don’t you do the same thing when you want your coworkers to know who Jesus
is, but they would describe you as a person who is always trying to one-up everyone else? Who
compares how much work you’re doing to how little everyone else is doing? Who criticizes your
superiors mercilessly and isn’t happy unless you’re getting a raise?


Do you see now why Paul gives us this trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance?

“Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners-of whom I am the worst.”

I demonstrated for you so far today how to accept the second part of that trustworthy saying. “I am
the worst of sinners.” Now, accept and trust the first part of that saying, “Christ Jesus came into the
world to save sinners.” 


Sinners like those of us who struggle with the more “wild sins” I described before. Sinners like those
of us who struggle with the more “sophisticated sins”, the “I’m-better-than-you” sins. And even the
sins of us who are trying to show God’s grace and teach God’s grace to children, grandchildren,
coworkers and the like, but get in the way of God. 


Jesus has shown you MERCY!

He came into the world not to damn you, but to be damned for you. If he had come to damn, we’d
all be damned. But he saved us from damnation by taking our death sentence for us. And as he
showed this mercy on the cross, remember how he even spoke it from his merciful, parched lips,
“Father, forgive those who are killing me, they know not what they are doing. I am being killed so
they can live forever with you, Father. Today, you, criminal on the cross, will be with me in paradise.
I have become the worst of all criminals so you can be the best of God’s friends.”

Jesus has dumped GRACE, FAITH, and LOVE on each one of us!

Next time you’re pouring that hot mug of apple cider, think of how Jesus has poured himself out
when he came into the world. We are the worst of sinners...he was the best of God’s sons. He
talked with the woman at the well who had five husbands so she could be filled by God and his
forgiveness and approval and not be thirsty for approval from men again. He poured faith into you
when he sent the Holy Spirit to do a miracle of miracles...replacing your hatred for God with trust in
God. Jesus loves you, even you!


Jesus has UNLIMITED PATIENCE for each of us.

Friends, never abuse God’s patience. Don’t minimize your sin, because, well, God is patient
anyways, right? No big deal, right? No! See Jesus coming to you again and again in the Lord’s
Supper, “Be reconciled to God, be reconciled to God!” See the Jesus of history who watched Adam,
and Eve, then generation after generation after family after family rebel against their God and still, he
kept his promise to come into the world to save sinners like you and me!


This same Jesus has appointed you to his service! What exactly is that service? You have become
a living object lesson of God’s mercy and grace, just like St. Paul! When you let people really get to
know you, they see how you have a God has had unlimited patience with sinful you. Then they can
believe and trust that God has the same unlimited patience, mercy and grace for them as well. And
eternal life along with that!

We pray along with Paul in verse 17,

“Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment